Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blue Heron Photo Shoot - Day 271

We have a mascot. He or she spent the afternoon out front posing for me. I've never seen a blue heron so close to the house and never had one allow me to get so close.



He gave me a good hard look at one point but even then he didn't fly off.
 
It turns out he is a regular visitor.
 
 
This time of year, folks fish for salmon off the beach. This fellow figured out that he can get an easy meal of leftovers after the fishermen fillet their fish and toss the remains back into the sound.
Yep, he's got it all figured out!

September 27

©2012 Michelle Goodrum

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous series of photos. Love great blues. Those shots with his feet up are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I just love watching them fish along the shore at low tide. They stand still for so long and then suddenly they strike!

      Delete
  2. I have ONE, just ONE, that visits our little pond every summer. He is soooooo skitish he even heard the camera turn on over 100 feet away! I never have been able to get a good photo of him. I managed to get a decent one or two while we were in Gulf Shores. But, not mine. Nope! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, correct identification.
    This one is in juvenile plumage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My neighbor thought it might be a youngster.

      Delete